Chard and Bacon Pizza
recipe adapted from www.foodandwine.com
1. 1/2 pound sliced bacon
2. 1 bunch of chard, end stems and tough ribs removed, chop cut into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
3. 1/2 pound Fontina or mild provolone cheese, shredded (2 cups)
4. Salt and freshly ground pepper
5. 1 pound pizza dough, at room temperature
6. 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
7. 1-2 chopped cloves of garlic or use green garlic
8. add any other veggies you like
Preheat oven to 500°. Preheat a pizza stone or generously oil a large baking sheet. In skillet, cook bacon over high heat until browned and most of the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Drain and cool, then break the bacon into 1-inch pieces.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and heat until shimmering. In a large heatproof bowl, toss the chard with the hot fat. Add the bacon and half of the cheese, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a rough 14-inch round. Transfer it to a floured pizza peel or rimless cookie sheet, or to the oiled baking sheet. Spoon the Swiss chard topping over the pizza, leaving a 1-inch border of dough. Brush the border with the olive oil. Scatter the remaining cheese on top.
Slide the pizza onto the hot stone, if using, and bake for about 10 minutes on the stone or 16 minutes on the baking sheet, until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Transfer the pizza to a rack and let cool slightly before serving.